( ANSWERED ) World lore and background?

Please post suggestions and questions about Alangara in this forum.
Calamitus

( ANSWERED ) World lore and background?

Post by Calamitus » Fri Oct 23, 2015 10:25 pm

I am trying out this server and have a character built, but I want a good background but just don't know where to start. There is no map or list of nations/lands that characters can use for origin stories (granted I haven't had the chance to check out the museum yet, might be some there?). Are PCs born in this world, transported from Faerun, or other realms or what? I come from PWs that have had extensive player generated lore and thorough world histories created by the DMs in their forums and online in both NWN and NWN2. This server feels very empty to me. If I am getting in on the ground floor so to speak, that's great, I'd love to have my stories be part of something bigger. Just need some direction to start with. Thanks!

BenevolentDevil

Re: World lore and background?

Post by BenevolentDevil » Sat Oct 24, 2015 4:21 am

There is some lore, and from what I've found out is directly from the creator/DM Tara here.

To answer, characters can be born here , or be from somewhere else. As what I took from the OOC signs in the start area, as long as you have solid RP reason , story, or background ... and fits DnD fantasy , imagination is well liked and highly encouraged.

I don't know enough on how this place fits in with the rest of Aber-Toril , but I know it's closely connected to it.

I know it seems empty, I've been playing all week alone pretty much, lol.
There are a handful of players, just we are on different time-zone schedules. Looking forward to seeing ya, and hoping you stick around though. Hopefully Tara will chime in, and give ya all the answers I cannot.

tarashon

Post by tarashon » Sat Oct 24, 2015 2:44 pm

Howdy and a warm welcome to Alangara Calamitus :)

"Back in the days" the background story for the server was basically being roleplayed into the game via DM events and hints etc. Some of it was hinted or written directly via in-game books retrieved in quests.

This however does pose problems for new players and I full heartily agree that it will serve new and old players alike better to make the background lore of the world fully transparent an then concentrate on small events in history in various in-game quests.

So what I will do is basically make amore in dept lore section available here on the forum. This might take some time and having terrible hangover from partying til 7 am this morning ( shame on me ! ) I might be more productive tomorrow, LOL :)

However to answer extremely briefly BVD's comment about basically any background story from any background world will indeed do. The Inner Realms is in effect a plane of its own closely connected to Toril and its divine Panteon, but also serving as a hub for the intire multiverse including any and all known or unknown universes, basically making it possible for the backgroundstory to that of a starwars JEDI, a former God cast into mortality, or a local farmer utterly clueless to the grander storylines of ADND etc etc , giving the option for some rather radical roleplay as this poor or blessed individual suddenly enter a realm with completely different physical, mental, magical and spiritual laws.

Also in creating your character a keyfactor is that of HOPE, since that is in essence the raw power that granted your character a new chance, not only in life but also to eventually become a semidivine being him- or her self.

But I shall manufacture a more specific and indept overview over the Inner Realms, and their original and second creation etc.

And thx for taking the time to come to the forum and give your suggestions, both of you :)

/tarashon

Somnium
Site Admin

Post by Somnium » Sat Oct 24, 2015 3:16 pm

tarashon wrote:But I shall manufacture a more specific and indept overview over the Inner Realms, and their original and second creation etc.
Perhaps, the Legend of Alangara thread could be supplemented with additional information, about what this legend means for the arriving new inhabitants to the Inner Realms.
Somnium (a.k.a. Seeker)

tarashon

Post by tarashon » Sat Oct 24, 2015 3:24 pm

Aye it would make sense...

Tara

Calamitus

Post by Calamitus » Sat Oct 24, 2015 4:02 pm

Thanks! I had come to the conclusion that any background was probably acceptable. The mechanism of how new characters arrive in the Inner Realms is still fuzzy, though I suppose divine intervention can always be used.