Player housing - suggestions and brainstorming

Please post suggestions and questions about Alangara in this forum.
tarashon

Player housing - suggestions and brainstorming

Post by tarashon » Mon Nov 02, 2015 7:29 pm

*TOPIC SPLIT by Somnium - lets continue the player housing specific discussion in its own topic*

How about this *drum solo* *fanfare* *another drum solo* *another fanfare*

And now to write a ...COMPLETE COPY of what is seen in other games LOL.

We could make an area in castle balder that is indeed a housing area with houses and lawns and city lights and.....NOTHING MORE.

The players then own a house and can also place outside placeables on their plot while obviously also being able to model house inside. the two may vary independently so if you like a given house outside you can stil buy another inside and vice versa.

*EDIT*

Or i could try to make it a disgustinly serene area with still empty gardens to design for the players as they see fit....

/tara

BenevolentDevil

Re: Player housing - suggestions and brainstorming

Post by BenevolentDevil » Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:02 pm

I don't like the static option, simply because you are stuck with what's available in that regards.

Jes probably wouldn't have ought a house in the city. As you know, the island was a nice idea, and very instrumental in her RP and desires. The option left open for her to pick a place that seemed "just right" for the character , was awesome in my eyes.

I know it's not an option for Anoksuna , but she'd be happy living in a tent ... it wouldn't have to be in the old city ruins area exactly, but it isn't like she is "suzy-home-maker" in personality ... lol.

I might at some point make a character that rather live in the cold lands, or Xymoria ... , but since we only gain the option for our main character, and as long as places are picked that don't disrupt what' s currently there , and seems do-able and fitting , I kinda enjoy the aspect of how it is right now.

The only part that bothers me , is You having to do extra work to include such areas.

Players can either take instant house gratification, and have something generic from the PW housing scripts thingies, or they can wait the time for something super nice and quality produced Is my take on it. I personally enjoy the latter of the two options.

I suppose , we could combo that aspect maybe?
Put in basically "self ran" generic housing options for those that :
-Don't want to put effort in.
-Don't want to wait.
-Don't really fit in with RP style ( or lack of )

perhaps "generic housing" is less costly, easier to attain?

Then Custom Housing, cost higher and has other requirements?
Like the Main character clause ... having the Player display an extra interest in the goings on of the realms, and participate in such a manner that helps add dimension to the InnerRealms?
Casual players , just don't need this option open to them. Tara doesn't need the extra work, for someone that only logs in once a month, and doesn't contribute to plots, role-playing, or seem interested in the lore and how to fit that in to their own characters and RP? They might have to put time in, or at least be say 10th level , before they can take that option?
It doesn't have to be super-strict policy, but I hope my meaning gets across from what I said in example there.

Somnium
Site Admin

Post by Somnium » Tue Nov 03, 2015 4:51 am

I guess that this would correspond to the two "housing tiers" currently available?

There are "premade"/generic housing in the module already, which are cheaper than custom homes, but (apart from buying a persistent chest and/or house portal) are not customizable. This can very quickly be tailored to a new player (and could perhaps be scripted to be even more "player-driven").

And additionally, the possibility for custom houses (or even areas), where the player can send in his own indoor location (or even an entire area) for import (or convince another builder to build it), which allows for complete flexibility.

"Prebuilding" with static components, would seem to be a middle ground between these two solutions, that would require a lot of scripting, and perhaps not be as "satisfying" as a completely custom build housing anyway. I think that"script-driven" homes are perhaps best suited for the MMORPGs where they were introduced, since it is a compromise between the largely static nature of MMORPGs and allowing the players creative freedom.

Script-driven customization of custom areas, would probably require a lot of effort to make as well (our "dynamic" farming system, which is the closest we have to this kind of functionality, is restricted to a predefined rectangle with no other obstacles in it, for this very reason).
Somnium (a.k.a. Seeker)

tarashon

Post by tarashon » Tue Nov 03, 2015 7:07 am

What i like about this game is that most things ae possible....

Like ...why again is it not possible for onuksuna to live in a tent ???

Its just to decorate the inside of a tent. make a custom summon/remove the a custom tent , either with a custom transition build into it or another small custom item activating door for user and group, all leading to the simple conclusion of...

OFFCOURSE its possible to live in a tent :)

/tara

BenevolentDevil

Post by BenevolentDevil » Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:37 am

No, she's not my main character, she doesn't qualify lol.

tarashon

Post by tarashon » Tue Nov 03, 2015 3:21 pm

*cough*

kinda slipped on that one, didnt i ? :)