AoE spells affecting summons

Please post suggestions and questions about Alangara in this forum.
Warchief

AoE spells affecting summons

Post by Warchief » Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:59 pm

Not sure if this was intentional or not or the reasons behind it but it would seem that casting AoE spells as a mage blows up your pets just as well as they blow up the monsters and I also believe if you cast them too close to yourself they blow you up too. This makes playing a mage extremely dangerous or at least limits spell options when you need to have pets around to survive.

tarashon

Re: AoE spells affecting summons

Post by tarashon » Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:11 pm

Some spells works like that others do not. It is however intentional since this also goes for player characters. Basically we run the server on hardmode...

/tara

Li'l Rose

Post by Li'l Rose » Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:46 pm

So basically have to build your toon to survive the world, rather than for role play. I thought was role play server, lol.

tarashon

Post by tarashon » Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:09 pm

I honestly fail to see how using different spells in differentient situations is building your toon to survive.

I also believe that on the subjekt of roleplying it is indeed dangerous to throw a fireballs in the head of your summen or friend. ..

Finaly ofcourse you have to build your character to survive or atleast play it smart. I really can not se a problem here what so ever....

Tara

Warchief

Post by Warchief » Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:00 am

Well it has been proven before that I have seen AoE spells not affect other players in the party, just the caster and his/her summons. Only one currently getting penalized this way is the caster and not the group. Rose can confirm this as I just brought on my wizard and threw a fireball at her... the spell did not affect her at all but it did do damage to me. I then cast planar binding and then cast an ice storm at her and the pet... nearly killed the pet but again Rose's toon was unaffected by the AoE. Just saying that it makes using the improved AoE spells annoying cause all Im really achieving is blowing up one group of monsters as well as a temporary distraction so I dont blow myself up in the process.

tarashon

Post by tarashon » Fri Feb 05, 2016 6:44 am

Being hostile to wizard and pet but not other players does indeed sound mighty strange. Like I said all I have done in these aspects is running the server on mode 4 ( hardcore ). What spell is working like that or is it more than one ?

/tara

Li'l Rose

Post by Li'l Rose » Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:45 am

None of the spells will affect other players, as the server is in party pvp mode. To affect other players, it would have to be in full pvp mode. However not sure why the PC or summons would be affected in party pvp mode.

However this not really matter, as the only option seems to be the fighter/barbarian with fullplate and tower shield, as they get more ac than a dex toon, and their sword not hurt their summons.

Would love to build a mage, but without death magic, bigby spells, or area spells, there is not much left.

Warchief

Post by Warchief » Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:27 pm

The spells that blow myself up as well as pets, are ALL AoE spells that can effect monster, pet, caster, npc, chests etc. The main two I tested with Rose that I had access to were, fireball and ice storm but there are probably others as well that will effect pets, monsters and casters in the AoE but players appear to be immune. I can show you next time I see you (and hopefully not kill myself in the process lol)

tarashon

Post by tarashon » Sat Feb 06, 2016 1:53 pm

I actually have tried to alter the setting so that monsters may Crit on hit, but aoe is none hostile. Not sure if it has worked, but i have a feeling it did though, since apparently other stuff did change...

/tara

Warchief

Post by Warchief » Sat Feb 06, 2016 3:21 pm

Confirmed now. No longer blow up myself or pets at the moment,