Evards black tentacles and hostile caster mobs

Please post suggestions and questions about Alangara in this forum.
Twilighteyes

Evards black tentacles and hostile caster mobs

Post by Twilighteyes » Mon Feb 15, 2016 3:07 pm

So I had Rani in the frozen lands fighting Yeti Howlers. Love the look, love the creature BUT can we please do something with EBT (Evards black tentacles)? The howlers show as effortless to Rani (she was lvl 19) an she was only getting 14xp a kill on them but even with full buffs and both her bear AND elemental swarm summoned (and buffed) one mob of the howlers nearly killed her. The issue (IMO) is EBT. EBT does not allow SR to apply, you take damage as long as your in the areA it was cast at and if you fail a throw you are paralyzed.With 5 hasted howlers each casting it twice and each casting doing an avg of 12hp damage a round you have to be moving out of the casting area within the first round just to survive.

Perhaps modifying EBT to recognize SR so that it may apply to both PLAYER and CREATURE for a bit of balance or just cut the howlers number of prepared EBT and replace it with a spell of equal level?

Just my random thoughts, thank you.
Twilighteyes name "borrowed" from a book titled the same, NOT a reference to "sparkly" vampires.

tarashon

Re: Evards black tentacles and hostile caster mobs

Post by tarashon » Mon Feb 15, 2016 4:03 pm

Thanks for writing it here :)

I'll be looking into their spell list and as the benevolent DM I strive to be will try to find more diverse ways for my beloved Howlers to kill players :)

/tara

Warchief

Post by Warchief » Mon Feb 15, 2016 4:30 pm

Paralyze can be avoided with the freedom of movement spell and stoneskin/premonition should negate the bulk of the damage from EBT. I will say that it is annoying for squishy toons that don't have access to such spells though. It does make the area a lot more dangerous even though it should be able to be done a level 15+ character. EBT is definitely the cause of making it more challenging than that but there are ways around it.

tarashon

Post by tarashon » Mon Feb 15, 2016 4:43 pm

I checked now to make sure they only have 1 cast, but this cannot be done since they are sorceror so they choose themselves how many of each spells they know to cast.. Sorry Twilight, but try out Chiefs advice and se eif that makes it more doable. I know I did the place without too many problems myself as druid but what i did was sending the summons forth alone and then retracting them as to stay out of the main spell area. What needs to be seen is if strategy can make it doable or not...

/tara

Twilighteyes

Post by Twilighteyes » Mon Feb 15, 2016 5:01 pm

*facepalm*

I keep forgetting that here I can send pets ahead. I'll give that a shot.
Twilighteyes name "borrowed" from a book titled the same, NOT a reference to "sparkly" vampires.