Harp of Winter Quest ...

Please post suggestions and questions about Alangara in this forum.
BenevolentDevil

Harp of Winter Quest ...

Post by BenevolentDevil » Sun Aug 14, 2016 2:57 am

Ok I have to protest a bit here ... locks on doors with 50 or more Lock Pick DC , and the traps are high enough doing epic damage, but the spot DC just to see where they are is also up there ...

You have to have a rogue with you in epic levels, I was able to bypass the front door by hiring the rogue merc golem , but of course the weakling couldn't survive the night champions on the otherside, even though I was trying to keep him back and Jess and Ori between him and danger .... but the next trap would have wasted him anyways ...

Normally, I wouldn't fret this much, but we don't have many epic level rogues playing , not sure if Bards even qualify to get those traps and locks done ... as it stands, Jess could gain the 50 DC barely if she had anymore +10 Lockpicks , but regular classes can't buy them, they have to be found ...
But Jess has a 20 skill points in Lock Pick , + the 20 from not being in combat for total of 40 , which I consider very high for a non-rogue class ...
And even then , she can't remove traps that block access to unlock a few doors ...

Since the Harp of Winter is a requirement quest for being reborn , I just find it unfair to all classes but rogue builds , or those that at least make huge skill dumps into Open Locks ...

I considered using a Pixie pot form the Elven Tavern to see if one would gain the ability, but no rest in the Sanctuary down there, meant I'd be stuck as a pixie for the remainder of the run , with no guarantee it's even work ...
and also not sure what havoc that render on the character skin thing either ...

We at least need a means for non-rogue classes to be able to do that quest ( or die trying ) , I do not mind locked doors or traps ( in fact thats the only way Jess was really challenged pre-boss areas there. ) , but as it stands with-out a party of players that has a epic level rogue in it.. or possibly a bard ... or get lucky and find a bunch of +10 lock picks and hope the traps don't get in the way on doors ... , I just don't see it as being able to be completed by :
Fighter, Paladin ,Weapon master, Champion of Torm, Black guard , Barbarian, Wizard, Cleric, Sorc, Druid , classes, unless one can skill dump 60 skill points for the cross class skill , or if someone takes 6 levels of rogue to make a 30 point skill dump. ( as I do not recall if OL is a bard skill or not off the top of my head. )

Of course if you have a rogue with ya, it's fine ... but I don't have one available lol , not unless it's the weak merc golem , and he will not survive no matter how many times I command him to stay put ... cause my other summon ( ori) will also stay put and monsters swarm them that Jess can't block or engage ...

so, I don't want to take away from a rogue ( or a bard's ) importance on such quest ( gives those characters a means to shine ) , but I also don't want a solo or non-rogue class party blocked from completing the quest either. So I dunno how to really fix it , and retain that ...
I'm drawing a mind blank on it ...

tarashon

Re: Harp of Winter Quest ...

Post by tarashon » Sun Aug 14, 2016 8:45 am

Howdy BD :)

Well as I mentioned earlier sometime ago the intire area needs a thorough workover. Complete redesign in both visuals, monsters, hardiness and concept; which include the rewards itself.

I shall see if I can manage to have it redone within some weeks. Also be adviced that those traps are not at all attuned to the new custom trap system, so basically just leave the area alone for now ;)

/tara

BenevolentDevil

Re: Harp of Winter Quest ...

Post by BenevolentDevil » Sun Aug 14, 2016 4:49 pm

Oh,I did not know it needed an over-haul.

I thought I was going to try to get in, beat down the boss, get the harp hahaha... except my rent a rogue , went south on me.