Mobs spamming special attacks

Please post suggestions and questions about Alangara in this forum.
tarashon

Re: Mobs spamming special attacks

Post by tarashon » Thu Aug 25, 2016 6:20 pm

Problem remains that those areas always were designed for groups and as such one would not be single target for such an amount of attacks and even if the main tank did he/she would usually have tons of protective spells cast on them and healers in their back...

/tara

Balkoth

Post by Balkoth » Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:23 pm

Dante2377 wrote:The game wasn't designed for mobs to spam special attacks like that in that quantity. I've lost track of how many times this has happened now and for me, and I can't speak for others, but it's ruining my adventuring here.
Yep.
tarashon wrote:Problem remains that those areas always were designed for groups and as such one would not be single target for such an amount of attacks
How many people should be in the group? I mean, if you have a Fighter, Wizard, Cleric, and Archer (could be Rogue, Ranger, Arcane Archer, etc...or a Druid mostly spell casting) then you only have one dedicated meleer to soak the attacks.
tarashon wrote:even if the main tank did he/she would usually have tons of protective spells cast on them and healers in their back...
What extra protective spells would have they?

And if the "tank" is dying in <6 seconds then I'm not sure those healers are even going to be able to heal the tank in time unless they're doing nothing but spamming healing spells on the tank non-stop. Takes time to swap targets and actually cast the heal.

BenevolentDevil

Post by BenevolentDevil » Fri Aug 26, 2016 4:36 am

I did note that mobs will not use an ability if you are protected from it ... and will insta-spam it the moment you run out of pot time. ( Remember that's why I asked for the Potion glow, to know when it ran out )

And now, back reading, I think I understand Dante's and possibly Balkoths frustration ...

Tara, you and I both perished from a few mobs not long ago , due to protections/song/potions wearing off ... we got creamed by the ambush in the elven-shade lands in a matter of moments. Heck our large party got stomped on, and eaten by the epic werewolf ... hahaha!
( Me, You, Goriolas, FLo , Dante, and summons ... that werewolf wiped his butt with us. )

Some attacks happen regardless if a mob/monster wants it to or not, but the moment it's a combat advantage of using those they can turn on/off, they will spam it until they do nail those rolls that allow them to do it.
I think it' s part of that new AI installed ... , and after seeing the other two's responses , I have to agree ( and what I know about NWN "dice rolls" ) , I do have to agree the pass/fail system doesn't quite work for how mobs attack and can spam ... it's not quite the same "odds" as one on one combat.

tarashon

Post by tarashon » Sun Aug 28, 2016 11:28 am

It is quite possible an result of the New ai as we didnt really have that much of a problem earlier...

Tara

tarashon

Post by tarashon » Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:32 pm

As we move along now areas with particular problems with spamming special powers should be specifically reported and a likely FIX will be to create leaders for said mobs in each groups, letting only them have the problem ability and not the rest. This, I figure, should stop the "statistically overwhelmed" problems of special powers, while still allowing to implement them fluently.

/tarashon