Class Idea: Tinkerer (Replacing Harper Scout)

Please post suggestions and questions about Alangara in this forum.
Omegon

Class Idea: Tinkerer (Replacing Harper Scout)

Post by Omegon » Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:07 pm

Okay so this idea is about a roguelike mindset of an individual (Atypically halfling and human rogues) that relishes cantrips, Mechanical traps, Bombs, Concoctions. Presenting the..

Tinkerer
The tinkerer in his/her previous experience experimenting on mechanical gears to slot together, Pouring foul and enigmatic liquids into an experimental flask, For good or for worse. Luckily the tinkerer has taken time to work out what is positively workable.

So the pre requisite for harper scout is currently:

Alignment: any non-evil

Feats: Alertness, Iron will

Skills: Discipline 4 ranks, lore 6 ranks, persuade 8 ranks, search 4 ranks

The new proposed pre requisites for tinkerer:

Alignment: Any

Feats: Skill Focus: Craft Trap, Skill Focus: Search

Skills: Lore 4, Search 4, Set Trap 2, Craft Trap 4,

Old Class Progression:

1st +0 +0 +2 +2 bardic knowledge, bonus feat (curse song, favored enemy)
2nd +1 +0 +3 +3 Deneir's eye, sleep
3rd +2 +1 +3 +3 cat's grace, Tymora's smile
4th +3 +1 +4 +4 eagle's splendor, Lliira's heart
5th +3 +1 +4 +4 bonus feat (curse song, favored enemy), craft harper item, invisibility

:arrow: New Class Progression :!:

1st +0 +0 +2 +2 bardic knowledge, bonus feat (Favored enemy)
2nd +1 +0 +3 +3 Craft Acid Bomb
3rd +2 +1 +3 +3 Cat's grace,
4th +3 +1 +4 +4 eagle's splendor, Craft Fire Bomb
5th +3 +1 +4 +4 Freedom (Permanent Freedom!), Invisibility

This is just another idea I thought I'd throw into the mix, As a replacement for Harper scout. Let me know whatcha think and I can expand on any of it!

tarashon

Re: Class Idea: Tinkerer (Replacing Harper Scout)

Post by tarashon » Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:58 pm

I would like for you to come up with more for this class and how many levels it can have - also i think this sort of beckons for a tinkerer golem of sorts , ie a special summon - allready have the model in mind.

What i wonder about is how these bombs works. are they basically alchemist fire only cast'able on ground or ?

Also, obviously, how do we scale power to a class only ment for a few levels so as to actually work on all levels ? perhaps that it has 6 levels to it but all levels of the given char scales the bombs and summon etc ?

/tara

Omegon

Post by Omegon » Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:15 am

Hi Tarashon!

Thanks for the quick response I'll put in further proposals as per your points below and recap on them in the end of the post. Thanks in advance for reading.

Tinkerer

The new proposed pre requisites for tinkerer:

Alignment: Any

Feats: Skill Focus: Craft Trap, Skill Focus: Search

Skills: Lore 4, Search 4, Set Trap 2, Craft Trap 4,

Old Class Progression:

1st +0 +0 +2 +2 bardic knowledge, bonus feat (curse song, favored enemy)
2nd +1 +0 +3 +3 Deneir's eye, sleep
3rd +2 +1 +3 +3 cat's grace, Tymora's smile
4th +3 +1 +4 +4 eagle's splendor, Lliira's heart
5th +3 +1 +4 +4 bonus feat (curse song, favored enemy), craft harper item, invisibility

:arrow: New Class Progression :!:

1st +0 +0 +2 +2 Bardic knowledge, Bonus feat (Favored enemy)
2nd +1 +0 +3 +3 Craft Acid Bomb
3rd +2 +1 +3 +3 Cat's grace,
4th +3 +1 +4 +4 eagle's splendor, Craft Fire Bomb
5th +3 +1 +4 +4 Freedom (Permanent Freedom!), Invisibility
6th +4 +2 +4 +4 Craft Electric Bomb
7th +5 +2 +5 +5
8th +6 +2 +5 +5 Craft Tinkerer Potion
9th +6 +3 +5 +5 Imbue Weapon
10th +7 +3 +6 +6 Assemble Scrap Golem

Q&A

Question: "I would like for you to come up with more for this class and how many levels it can have - also i think this sort of beckons for a tinkerer golem of sorts , ie a special summon - allready have the model in mind."

Answer: I think with your feedback, We could actually make a ten level prestige class, Ten levels is a suitable investment into a class and I feel with whats proposed above its worth the investment.

Question: What i wonder about is how these bombs works. are they basically alchemist fire only cast'able on ground or ?

Answer: Whether its by feat or widget (Plot item, Non transferable) is that bombs can be spawned into the players inventory to use (Or produced so the Tinkerer can be a merchant to other players). I thought of two ways:

:arrow: Spawn Acid and Fire flasks via widget (or feat but I think thats harder), Which are already in the toolset,We could make the Electric flasks similarly to how the acid and fire flasks are scripted. Acid and Fire flask info here: http://nwn.wikia.com/wiki/Acid_bomb http://nwn.wikia.com/wiki/Fire_bomb

:arrow: We could put in effects on a "bomb" produced by the tinkerer, So alchemist fire is definitely suitable, Possibly acid fog in acid, Fireball for fire and Chain lightning for electric.

Question: "Also, obviously, how do we scale power to a class only ment for a few levels so as to actually work on all levels ? perhaps that it has 6 levels to it but all levels of the given char scales the bombs and summon etc ?"

Answer: To scale correctly on Alangara, I think it would be worth scaling with character level for sure, Really good point made.

New Features Proposed

:arrow: Craft tinkerer potion; This can be a selection of 3 to 5 potions with effects on each. Examples can include (These are just ideas off the top of my head):
:!: Mage armour
:!: Haste
:!: Improved invisibility
:!: Endurance
:!: Bulls Strength

The cost for the tinkerers potions would be 1500 gold per person. This can be emulated via a widget gained at level 8 or scripted as a feat. Whichever is more advantageous.

:arrow: Imbue weapon; The tinkerer has worked out the different chemicals/compounds that can be applied to give a temporary effect, Examples are as such:

:!: 1d6 Cold
:!: 1d6 Acid
:!: 1d6 Fire
:!: 1d6 Sonic

These effects should not be stackable for balance reasons.

:arrow: Assemble Scrap Golem; What appears to be a hunk of animated parts, constructed by assorted scrap materials, parts and machinations stand as an ultimate labour of love for the tinkerer. Animated by the expert eye of a master tinkerer. It abides by any command that its owner provides it.

Would love to expand more on the golem, Though it appears you might have an idea already on that one.

tarashon

Post by tarashon » Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:04 am

I do believe I have solution for the golem that would also go hand in hand with the palemaster actually….

What we do is make both classes use a variant of the feat summon familiar. allready we only use certain of these creature as we have upgraded. So we make others for them respecttively. there by I can create ( this will take time obviously ) new lines of familiars for different classes….

As for the different buffs i looked them over and find them "none balance breaking". I suppose you could see the tinkerer as the fighters version of the barbarians spiritmaster. In a sense anyway.

/tara

Omegon

Post by Omegon » Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:06 am

Thats a really cool idea about using the summon familiar option.

Yeah those buffs are a rough example, If they are good then awesome! Tinkerer is a good stopgap for any player that likes utility in their build, Trinkets and oddities to do as they will.

Twilighteyes

Post by Twilighteyes » Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:54 am

Tarashon, how much of a custom class can you guys make? Say base class hits a total of 10 levels, can you guys create a base or prestige that can reach 30 levels?

If so I think I have a home brew tinker/artificer style class that would work pretty well, pretty much along the lines of what omegon already has started here. It will need some tweaks of course as it was made for a slightly different campaign style but totally workable.
Twilighteyes name "borrowed" from a book titled the same, NOT a reference to "sparkly" vampires.

tarashon

Post by tarashon » Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:37 am

We can create a class from level 1 to 60 so NPCs can get Even stronger...

/Tarashon