( FIXED ) Add More (Blank) Helmets

Please post suggestions and questions about Alangara in this forum.
Balkoth

( FIXED ) Add More (Blank) Helmets

Post by Balkoth » Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:16 pm

NWN is not exactly known for its amazing helmet styles, but it would be nice to have vendors have more than 4 basic helmets (and to have some completely blank helmets for the forge) plus three Visors. The Visor +1/+2/+3 looks fine but then that seems to cost more to upgrade in the forge! I just want something I can look at without wincing because I'm wearing a pot on my head.

tarashon

Re: Add More (Blank) Helmets

Post by tarashon » Sun Mar 15, 2015 6:24 pm

I'll look over the specific Helm and shield shop in the city district ( old player initiative ) and add some more then....

/tara

Balkoth

Post by Balkoth » Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:24 pm

Spirit of full disclosure: I had completely forgotten about that shop. I know I saw it when initially exploring the city and then wrote it off since all the equipment was non-magical (I figured it was just "RP" gear for standing around in town) while the Blacksmith shop had the actual magic helmets and shields. Hence when I was looking for helmets for the forge I was checking both Blacksmith shops, Aron's Wonders, and Magic and Mysteries.

That said, there's obviously still a lot of helmet designs not in-game -- I'm "old-fashioned" I suppose and generally prefer a basic reasonable looking helmet rather than a stag helmet or whatever.

I did have a small epiphany, though: you can change any helmet to look like any other helmet (including some REALLY weird things like...squid helmets) using Craft Armor. I hopped on my wizard to give it a shot and it worked. From what I recall, all of the DCs were 8 and gold cost 2. So perhaps you could do something like make an item you can equip that increases craft armor skill or give a buff to Craft Armor while in certain areas like that shop? That means players could make any helmet they wanted.

And then you can use the dyes from Signe to make the color whatever you want.

P.S. Could also add a dialogue option for the BlacksmithS that says "If you want fancy lookin' stuff, there's a store in the city district."

Balkoth

Post by Balkoth » Sun Mar 15, 2015 10:24 pm

Apparently the blank helmets have a DC of 0 to change. So if people are made aware of that they can take a blank helmet and make it look however they wish.

tarashon

Post by tarashon » Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:12 pm

I suppose we can just sneak in a some sort of sign in that shop explaining that. What i however would have liked was if helmets ( and shields ) could be Integrated into "Signe's Dressingroom" - that would really be extremely nice.

Again hopefully tomorrow evening ill have time for an hour or 2 fixing as much as i can of these isues/suggestions...

/tara

tarashon

Post by tarashon » Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:46 am

A sign explaining that anyone can change helmet apearance has been placed in the shop.

/tara

Balkoth

Re: ( FIXED ) Add More (Blank) Helmets

Post by Balkoth » Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:32 pm

New problem: plot helms cannot be modified. So say you bought an Ice Visor from Tolmar and then used a Truthstone on it...you wouldn't be able to modify the helmet appearance any longer. Not that I would have any knowledge of this, of course.

tarashon

Post by tarashon » Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:44 pm

I take it you did ? hehe...

Well first of isn't it rather expensive to change apearance on a tolmar helmet in the first place ?

What I personally would love was if we could get those models to be able to modify shield, helmets and weapons as well. To me its simply just nice to be able to customize the look of ones character...

If you did "mess up" with a helmet i can always Exchange is as DM for anew...

Besides that nothing to do about really since its NWN hardcoded that you cannot change the look on plot items using the normal skills; to the best of my knowledge anyways..

/tara

Balkoth

Post by Balkoth » Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:01 am

tarashon wrote:Well first of isn't it rather expensive to change apearance on a tolmar helmet in the first place ?
No, if I recall correctly it was charging me less than 10g. For example, my 2 Str/2 Con forged helmet would cost 23k from a vendor and I'm only being charged 1g to modify it...and the Tolmar helmet was about 130k I believe.
tarashon wrote:What I personally would love was if we could get those models to be able to modify shield, helmets and weapons as well. To me its simply just nice to be able to customize the look of ones character...
I suppose. I don't mean that in a mean sense, I just don't personally care about it that much -- I'm more concerned with having at least SOME options that look halfway decent. If anything I'd probably prefer some iconic looking items that are more prestigious, but I don't think it's a huge deal either way in NWN.

That said, doing some research into this has indicated a potential problem: it appears that local variables stored on items are deleted if the skill check fails or the conversation is aborted (at least when using the default crafting options). So if anything it might be wise to disable the default crafting and only allow the models (and get those to work properly).
tarashon wrote:Besides that nothing to do about really since its NWN hardcoded that you cannot change the look on plot items using the normal skills; to the best of my knowledge anyways..
I was hoping that setting the item to Cursed rather than Plot would fix the issue but some brief testing shows that it does not.