Suggest having a way to put a Custom Name and Description to your items

Please post suggestions and questions about Alangara in this forum.
NOVA

Suggest having a way to put a Custom Name and Description to your items

Post by NOVA » Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:22 am

This would create a REAL sense of ownership of those items not to mention upping the role-play aspect of these items. It also allows you to attach not only a name but a back story to those virtually unique creations you put together at a forge.

I do not, however, have any suggestions as to the mechanics for how you go about implementing this system. I scripted a simple, effective, but pretty unprofessional method for my own NWN module. It works.....but I'm decidedly NOT a scripter. You no doubt would create your own MUCH better system. Nor do I have any suggestions if/what any limitations on this renaming ability should be. Should it only be items altered at a forge? Should it be limited to items of XXX gp value and higher? Should it cost you to do it or should it be FREE? I don't know. If there are no limits, running around renaming every single mundane item you ever buy in a shop seems kind of silly to me. But then I suppose even that would add a bit of style to all of one's possessions. And if it could be done with no (or at least minimal) cost....so much the better. And it certainly does nothing to upset any game balance. It merely enhances the story of your character(s).

Anyway.....it's just a suggestion.

tarashon

Re: Suggest having a way to put a Custom Name and Description to your items

Post by tarashon » Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:55 am

Howdy Nova, and welcome to the forum :)

Personally I am all for the idea so I'll just be waiting for Seeker's answer really, and I agree to the fact that it is not upsetting any gameballance, but merely enhances RP options/feel.

/tara

icywind1980

Post by icywind1980 » Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:22 am

You could take a look at a hak like this one:

http://www.nexusmods.com/neverwinter/mods/799

NOVA

Post by NOVA » Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:30 am

That HAK is a tremendously complicated add-on. I downloaded it and examined the scripting portion that changes your item's name and description. Sadly, it uses the very same method I used in what I called my "daft method".....zoiks.....

So it's NOT really a permanent renaming of your item....it simply attaches a new display name and display description by using the already defined SetName() and SetDescription() functions. It means your items are not REALLY renamed because they always retain their original name and description both of which can be reverted to at any time simply by invoking another SetName() or SetDescription() but this time entering blank text fields (i.e. using "" as the text field for those functions).

I was hoping someone had a way to REALLY change your item's name and description. The only ways I've found so far for that to be done require either:

A) logging the PC off and modifying the PC's character file server side (essentially editing the character file while the player is NOT using it and therefore that file is no longer locked)...the PC then has to log back in after the file has been edited....edits like this were done many years ago using LETO-Script but I've not found a LETO-Script for item renaming

or

B) using NWNX to launch the module server side which is thus able to edit the live server process memory because NWNX is essentially a process loader and thus has access to modify any and all RAM addresses which it has subsequently loaded. This would require having a NWNX plugin written that could make such a live RAM edit to your item's name and description which would thus become permanent as soon as you saved your character to the server hard drive

Both of those methods are extremely complicated and I have thus far been unable to locate any publicly distributed code for either of them (which would thus be usable by me or anyone else within our own NWN modules). Though I can grasp these processes as a matter of principle, as a non-programmer they have proven to be beyond my capacity to code/implement myself. So, I was hoping a real programmer out there either already had or would write and distribute such code/instructions for public use. So far I have not found such (it may be out there and I simply haven't found it yet).

As I indicated, my daft method works (more or less). Your item is renamed and it does have a new description, but it's not really elegant nor are the changes really permanent. Something that actually changes the item's "original" name and description seemed much more elegant to me. But maybe I'm just too picky??!!

NOVA

Post by NOVA » Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:37 am

I guess I should add....use of the SetName() and SetDescription() can easily be implemented without all the baggage of a HAK file. You simply use those two functions in any normal NWScript having first latched onto the desired new name and description by capturing the PC's chat window (much like is done to implement in-game bulletin boards for posting PC messages). It's effective I suppose.....but daft and decidedly not elegant.

Also...sorry for the added post. I just realized I could have simply edited my previous post....DOH !! :oops:

tarashon

Post by tarashon » Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:16 am

Its all good :)

Somnium
Site Admin

Post by Somnium » Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:01 pm

NOVA wrote:Both of those methods are extremely complicated and I have thus far been unable to locate any publicly distributed code for either of them (which would thus be usable by me or anyone else within our own NWN modules). Though I can grasp these processes as a matter of principle, as a non-programmer they have proven to be beyond my capacity to code/implement myself. So, I was hoping a real programmer out there either already had or would write and distribute such code/instructions for public use. So far I have not found such (it may be out there and I simply haven't found it yet).

As I indicated, my daft method works (more or less). Your item is renamed and it does have a new description, but it's not really elegant nor are the changes really permanent. Something that actually changes the item's "original" name and description seemed much more elegant to me. But maybe I'm just too picky??!!
I would argue that the internal representation of the description of an item doesn't really matter, since what the game displays to the player is, per definition, the "in game reality" for the player :) Whether the result of the "GetName" function call gets its result from an underlying "original" name field, an "new name" field, or a NWNX memory injection, as a player you experience the same result: A specific text string is loaded into the onExamine popup window, and is displayed as the game reality to the user.

Since the player do not by default have access to the setName scripting command, a name change using this method is just as permanent as any other. Even if you used NWNX to deserialize the object down onto the disc and change the "real" name field directly, it would still not be permanent, as you could then just as easily do it again. Or so I would argue ;)

I would say that it is comparable to the "cloning" of monsters in an encounter: You spawn x monsters from a blueprint made in the toolset, and you might customize each creature's name when it spawns (or its lootable inventory, hp, etc.). Does every single monster become less real because it is basically a clone with a custom name set by setName, rather than making a blueprint for every single variation? As a developer, I would argue that elegance lies in re-use, not in needless duplication :)

On a more practical level, I was considering implementing this function as an in-game item, that you could use to target an item in your inventory, and then change the name or the description through a chat command. Does that sound workable to you?
Somnium (a.k.a. Seeker)

tarashon

Post by tarashon » Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:48 pm

*head pops up on the screen*

Awesome !

*Head disapears again*

/tara