The big crash and all that comes with it...

News from the server staff
tarashon

The big crash and all that comes with it...

Post by tarashon » Fri Feb 26, 2016 11:39 am

Howdy folks.

As all of you are well aware JEST servers experienced a complete crash in their German counterparts hardware. As a result the server went BOOM !

Having talked back and forth with JEST - lots - we managed to get the server back up online yesterday night ( where I am ). The problem however was much bigger than initially assumed. It appeared that the German servers had been running for months with "on the brink" equipment, which also, in retrospect, explains why several of us at times were wondering why there could be server lag...

As a result of this the database and servervault is FUBAR :(

Now this ¤%&/() combined with the stress it has been to try to cater for so many change requests and generel "unhappiness" about basically every aspect of the server has left me with a somewhat less than optimal mood for this whole project right now. I am in all fairness "tired" so to speak.
Tired also because there are several aspects that really needs to be dealth with for this server to "truly excell".

The server was built for group play and as many has pointed out, Warchief most recently in his post from today , this means that it becomes hard to play at epic levels unless a small group or well balanced duo. How little I like it or not it is the plain truth and needs to be adressed if a server like this should be a contemporary "challenger for a nice game" and not just a "feeble walk down memory lane".

Casters seems to be off balance in terms of gear and spell development. I realise many opt for less rest timer but this will not come to be since it makes the casters ludicrous strong ( whether people will admit it or not ) D&D was never created for casters to have endless spells. Regardless casters will need a huge workover with the before mentioned aspects.

EPIC progress needs lots more quests and storylines to make it fun and entertaining for singleplayers and in generel the whole concept of online gaming has changed over the years from a "Everquest state of mind" where those "old farts of us" were in pure marvel just running around exploring , to a scenario where people expect ( more or less ) to be guided and quest rewarded every step of the way. In all honesty I even feel it for myself that the patience for grinding is less all though I AM at a disadvantage here knowing the world all to well...

Currently i was and am working on EPIC PACKAGE but this takes time, especially since they need some storylines etc. to reflect upon the whole setting.

I have for some months been dreaming about taking the server to "the next level" by creating a more through storyline of progress, basically having a main NPC - much like in ESO , Elder Scrolls Online , call upon the player every now and then and tell them stuff about the world and send them out on a specific quest or maybe just telling them now is the time to explore the Frontier or what not...

---

The upside is that JEST is now running stuff on brand new top of the line gear which should make for a supreme gaming experience and lag free inviroment ( it better ! ).

Much progress have been made over the year the server has run now adding humongous amounts of changes, upgrades, balance tweaks and new quests and areas.

The knowledge of "what to do" is more or less there and the dream of creating it ( or perhaps right now just having it had created lol ).

Seeker might very well achieve to recreate the farming system to be account based, which would also upgrade the world and playability alot.

---

All this leads me to a point where I feel that the only real way forward right now is to take the time to create as a minimum the EPIC PACKAGE , a generel binding storyline guiding the player along and if at all possible the farm system account based. Also , if it has any use migrate our NWN database use into NWNX2 , as JEST servers accomodate this. Hopefully this would make database use more stable but who knows...

Thus what I am thinking of doing right now is putting out the server as TEMPORARY or BETA, meaning chars are subject to removal on realease, and then basically let is be for itself until the time where the "true release" is ready.

I am truly sorry for all this mess but the crash was beyond my reach and influence and all the complaints and requests are after all the players ( well alot also my own but... ) so in that aspect this is "the price for wanting more and better" ;)

/tara

tarashon

Re: The big crash and all that comes with it...

Post by tarashon » Fri Feb 26, 2016 3:00 pm

Just got a request about sending me character files ( from this server and untampered with ) to upload.

I dont mind if you have your own safety loads of your characters but since all database is lost it means that eventually we WILL have to start all over. But if you wanna enjoy your old characters and have workable versions by all means go ahead and send them to me.

***EDIT***

It might be though that this is even not possible. has to do with variables on items ( the Alangara stone ) are not exportet so basically the character is invalid when trying to import it.

*** EDIT END***

Also be sure to have logged into the server first so that you actually have a charactervault to place them into..

***MORE EDIT***

What we can do is to have atleast the main character of people "redone". we can't redo the quests but for the intire BETA PHASE then people can continue playing with their main. We can give xp and gold/tokens to get new gear. unfortunately all quests are undone and nothing we can do about it so people can do the quests again but since this needs a BETA phase and then complete restart once all is potentially ready then that's not really that much of a problem...

***END MORE EDIT***

/tara

tarashon

Re: The big crash and all that comes with it...

Post by tarashon » Fri Feb 26, 2016 6:00 pm

Good news...

It would seem that more things have been fixed now with the new servergear setup.

I am now able to log in as DM AFTER having logged in as player. More testing is needed to check this over time but if it works this will help alot in DM'ing and also the ability for others to start DM on the server.

*EDIT*

Guess the trees don't grow into the heavens and after an hour and trying to log in as DM it crashed the server.

*EDIT OVER*

Login time and server response seems to me to be MASSIVELY improved. Jest said that server respons could be as much as 200% better now. From my testing so far this might indeed be more than a mere claim...

Seeker have just made the changes for the Farm system bascically making it account based so all characters ( of level 10+ ) can use the same farm. This is allready in play in the BETA module uploaded but will need a player to get online to test it (basically making 2 chars instant level 10 to buy, plant and see if all functions are as they should be etc.

***EDIT***

This is now allmost working. Only problem to be solved is that now none of the characters can remove the darn crops as they get you don't own the land message, but likely this can be fixed so apparently it was possible to make the farming system account based instead of character only :)

***EDIT OVER***
/tara