A re-look at class banns

Please post suggestions and questions about Alangara in this forum.
Somnium
Site Admin

Re: A re-look at class banns

Post by Somnium » Wed Jun 29, 2016 5:44 pm

I've sent you another file, try that instead :)
Somnium (a.k.a. Seeker)

tarashon

Post by tarashon » Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:33 pm

ah actually gotten it to work now via another file - cls_feat_monk.2da , which must be used on both server and client side. I send you the file on skype so you can download it and upload it to the forum :)

This also means that ....

MONK IS NOW OPEN TO PLAY

( when downloading and adding the abovementioned file on the override disabling monkspeed . i've added the information in the module and reloaded it also )

/tara

Somnium
Site Admin

Post by Somnium » Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:02 pm

That's also the file I sent you, great :)
Somnium (a.k.a. Seeker)

Somnium
Site Admin

Post by Somnium » Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:12 pm

The new 2da-pack has now been uploaded to the website, and is available for download and installation. This should be done before playing a Monk.
Somnium (a.k.a. Seeker)

tarashon

Post by tarashon » Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:20 pm

Having playtested a monk to level 6 now I see that their initial damage output is very low due to low tohit and damage - i've done medium build with 2 kama's .

I've recreated the "rogue boost" as a similar "monk boost" and made both count eachothers levels also.

Thus both will work on the levels of

Rogue
Monk
Assasin
Shadowdancer
Harper Scout.

After using it myself now gaining it first at level 6 ( other will gain it from level 1 ) i can happily say it makes the monk way more smacking :)

Seeker could you possible update whatever script it is that grants the item to the rogues so it also grants "monkpower" to monks ?

tag of item and script "mn_monkboost"
Resref of item "monkpower"

Extra edit.... I have added a trigger now that actually gives the "monk power" item to monks that do not all ready posses it. However i am not sure if you fixed it such a way with the rogue power that it was a constant effect and not an item they need to reactivate ?

/tara

Somnium
Site Admin

Post by Somnium » Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:25 am

You remember correctly, the rogue power item has been replaced by an alternative solution. So you should not add the monk power as an item :) Email me the module, and the contents of the new monk-power script, then I'll incorporate the monk-power (you should probably remove the trigger, the item and the script from the module as well)
Somnium (a.k.a. Seeker)

tarashon

Post by tarashon » Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:17 pm

Traveĺling to denmark atm. I shall send it Tonite.

Tara

tarashon

Post by tarashon » Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:14 am

The Monkpower is now fully implemented by Seeker in the same way as the Rougepower so it is no longer an item but an automatic power aquired on login.

Anyone up for that monk/rogue/assassin from hell ? :)

( actually a quite nasty combination considered all 3 classes are due for the monk or Roguepower meaning +20 to-hit and magical damage on level 31+ , and the assassin gets the special acid weapon buff and the rogue gets the +1 possible elemental damage type on weapons in the forge. I smell "pain...lots of pain", hehe.

Thanks for the fast work Seeker :)

/tara

Dante2377

Post by Dante2377 » Sun Jul 10, 2016 3:06 pm

I had a long conversation with tarashon in-game about classes a day or two ago...gonna summarize some of that here along with some other thoughts.

Shadowdancer - HIPS is not the only good reason to take shadowdancer; in fact, most places nerf or alter it to be not overpowering. That said, even if HIPS isn't allowed, last time I checked, Epic Dodge was pretty damn good. You know what's also good, non-dispellable 50% concealment (self conceal 5). SD lets you get ED without needing other classes and has SC has a bonus feat. It also has bonus feats every 3 levels after 10, the best ratio of all the classes. They also have their own custom summon. Since T modified the other class summons and familiars, should SD be considered for altering and un-banning, I assume this summon would be the same. Now Shadow Evade is pretty useful in all but duration (gives lower concealment, damage reduction, and +4 AC). Many servers that I've seen, have modified Shadow Evade's duration to be 1 rd per SD level, or maybe 2/SD level and the specifics of the DR and concealment can be edited to suit Alangara.

Palemasters - Crit immunity is certainly nice, but PM gets a lot more than that. The increasing AC can be powerful, they get their own summon (which again, could be modified to be useful), and they get EPIC spells as choices for bonus feats starting at PM 16. Now typically, you'd take PM 10 for +6 AC and crit immunity on a caster, but higher levels would be typically taken on melee builds. Now melee builds with PM in them may or may not be what you want here, but high level PM builds would suffer from lack of AB. I've got fighter/bard/pm builds on other servers that were very good tanks, but had low AB (generally something like fighter 16 bard 4 pm20, which would be something lie ftr16 bard 6 pm 16 here) and not much bard buffing either (could use scrolls, but if you try and jam more bard in, your ab suffers even more the more fighter you lose and if you reduce PM, it dilutes it further).

So all that said, based on what I've seen on other places, if HIPS and crit immunity are the reasons the DMs/admins don't want Shadowdancer and Pale Master, I think there's other good uses for those classes, both RP and as game mechanic build choices.

Dante

tarashon

Post by tarashon » Sun Jul 10, 2016 4:43 pm

Howdy Dante :)

Well as mentioned above monks are now again in use and as far as possible I would like to unban classes where it can be done. So for SD and PM if we CAN find a way to remove crit imune and HIPS i am all game for allowing them again and also do the needed upgrades and customisations for fx their summons.

I did try to look at HIPS but i could not find the actual feat so not sure how to remove it. Only thing i can see would to be saying anyone wanting to be SD cannot take any points in HIDE. On a sidenote since players can get true seing and most high level mobs already have it hide in itself really isn't of much use.

Perhaps Seeker can conjure up some clever way of removing these feats or perhaps you could ask around on those before mentioned servers how they managed to fx adept the HIPS ?

/tara